Friday, May 13, 2011

Michael Bigger on Starting Over

I'm revisiting Michael Bigger's post on the things he'd do differently if he were to start all over again, professionally. This is a great essay and thought experiment and I wanted to share it with you.

Here are some excerpted ideas from, "Starting Over":

  • "Education: I would learn from the money makers not the teachers. I would not get an MBA. I would not get a CFA. Actually, through my experience I would plant the seed to develop an education platform at a very early stage in my financial career. Here is what John Templeton had to say about the education system before he passed away. The traditional is toast.
  • I would learn to write better.
  • I would start trading my money right away.
  • I would start a business as early as possible.
  • I would not build a career; I would build a platform."
If you've read Michael's blog and trading ideas on Twitter, or watched this interview on Michael's "trading recipes", writing, and technology, you'll know that he is constantly incorporating many of these ideas into his trading and business approach.

Go check out the full post at the link above, especially if you are a young person starting out in life or someone who is looking to rethink and start over.